Monday, July 9, 2012

Review: White Cat by Holly Black

White Cat by Holly Black
Published: May 4, 2010
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Pages: 336
Series: Curse Workers #1
My Rating: 5 of 5 stars

Synopsis: Cassel comes from a family of Curse Workers - people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all criminals. Many become mobsters and con artists. But not Cassel. He hasn't got magic, so he's an outsider, the striaght kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail - he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Cassel has carefully built up a facade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his facade starts to crumble when he finds himself sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he must unravel his past and his memories. To find out the truth, Cassel will have to outcon the conmen.


My Review: My only thought while I was reading this book: Why didn't I read this sooner?
Ok maybe not my only thought but you get what I mean...

I LOVED this book. Holly Black is an amazing writer and after I got into the story I found that I couldn't put the book down. It was unique unlike so many Young Adult books. It had believable characters and I really got attached to Cassel.
The story was interesting enough without her amazing writing. I mean the whole idea of Curse Workers is really cool and Holly Black makes it almost believable with how well she fits it into modern society. On top of that Cassel believes he killed his best friend Lila who he also loved.
There were so many twists in the story that it kept me on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. I stayed up late just so that I could finish this book and I'm so glad I bought the other two books along with this one because as soon as I finished it I started Red Glove.
I think my favorite quote might be  

“The easiest lies to tell are the ones you want to be true.”
or
“Marks forget that whenever something's too good to be true, that's because it's a con.”
Another bonus was that it had a guy main character and my bookshelf seems to have a shortage of those...so for people looking for an amazing book with a guy main character White Cat is the way to go!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book but sadly every time I go to the bookstore they only have the 2nd and 3rd books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww well when you do find White Cat you have to read it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)