Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
Published: August 7, 2012
Publisher:  Tor Teen
Pages: 336
Series: Anna #2
My Rating:  3 of 5 stars


Synopsis: It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on. 

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.


Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.


My Review: I think there might be something wrong with me. These books just don't scare me. That was my major problem with both of these books. Even the Suicide Forest didn't scare me but I did think it was pretty cool. Hell didn't scare me. But someone sneaking up behind me makes me jump a foot in the air.

Not too long ago I finished Anna Dressed in Blood and I was eagerly anticipating this book because I really liked the first one. Well one day I just happened to be at my local Barnes and Noble and I saw Girl of Nightmares but it wasn't supposed to be out yet (ok it was coming out in two days but still two days is a long time)! I almost started screaming in the bookstore.

Apparently my expectations were way too high. After reading many glowing reviews I cracked open this book and I thought it was good but it wasn't as good as the first book.

In the beginning of the book Cas is just complaining about how life isn't fair and how Anna doesn't deserve to be in Hell. Ok Cas I'll let that slide you did loose your dead girlfriend. But it wasn't as interesting as the first book. There wasn't as much of a thrill in the beginning. I didn't get sucked into the story like I had in Anna Dressed in Blood. After Cas actually started to do something about Anna being in Hell he became awesome Cas again. I just wish there was more ghost "killing" in the book.

Then Carmel has to go all I love Thomas but I can't be with him. Why? Just why? I liked you Carmel but after that I couldn't stand you. At least you redeemed yourself by getting back together with Thomas and breaking some plates.

Anna just wasn't there enough for me either. I mean I read this books so I could read about her and she's barely in this one. She was there at the end but I was kind of looking forward to reading more about her. I still don't think I know why Anna decided to spare Cas. If someone knows can you please tell me? I'd really like to know.

The part about the Suicide Forest was pretty cool and I knew that it was freaky and creepy but I just didn't feel freaked out by it. I kind of wish I did. I wanted to be curled up in the corner of my room unable to sleep because I was so scared but sadly I wasn't.

At least there were some parts I really liked. I think my favorite part was probably when Cas and Thomas went to see Aunt Riika and she turns out to be dead. The ending has got to be one of the most sad happy endings I've ever read. I almost cried. I just have so many mixed feelings about this book. I loved it and thought it didn't meet my expectations at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! Will read it and see if I get the same thought.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)