Saturday, December 22, 2012

Review: Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor
Published: November 6, 2012
Publisher:
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages:
517
Series:
Daughter of Smoke & Bone #2
My Rating: 
4 of 5 stars

Synopsis: Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?


My Review: I waited far too long to read Days of Blood & Starlight. My emotions are all over the place. I'm still trying to recover from it. At one point I was disappointed but happy. I wanted to sob and smile. As weird as it sounds I like that. I want a book to make me feel something for the characters. I'm so glad the world didn't end so I could finish this book.

I don't even know where to begin with the writing. Laini Taylor has a gift. Her writing is just beautiful and once I actually had the time to sit down and read this book I couldn't stop. From 7 in the morning until about 4 I had this book right next to me. I couldn't even eat without reading this.

And the characters were just perfect too although I was really annoyed at Karou for most of the book. I loved Ziri, Liraz, Hazael. Of course Brimstone is my all time favorite character from this series. Every single time they mentioned him I wanted to cry.

The only problem I had with this book was Akiva and Karou's relationship. I wanted more of it. What did I get? Chapters and chapters of them separated and Karou constantly punishing herself for loving Akiva. It made me want to shake her and scream that they are meant to be.

At least everything else about the book almost made up for that problem. Zuze and Mik were so adorable. I swear if something happens to them in the next book I'm going to sob my eyes out. And Ziri has to get a happy ending.

If you loved Daughter of Smoke & Bone then I would suggest running out and reading Days of Blood & Starlight not only because it has a gorgeous cover but because it was almost as good as the first book and the first book was pure awesomeness.

Now I'm just wondering how I'm going to survive the wait for book 3. I mean how could it just end like that with the third book so far away?

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get my hands on this! Like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous! I loved the first one. Awesome review, it makes me want to read it even more! Glad you liked it.

    New GFC follower :) Check out my blog, too?
    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)