Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review: Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns by John Green
Published: September 22, 2009
Publisher:
Speak
Pages:
320
My Rating: 
4 of 5 stars
  
Synopsis: Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.


My Review: This is now the third book I've read by John Green and I have to say that I will definitely read An Abundance of Katherines and Will Grayson, Will Grayson sometime in the future.

I really enjoyed Paper Towns but I feel that The Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska were definitely better.

A few of the characters in Paper Towns really bothered me. I'm still not sure how I feel about Margo. I'm leaning more towards tolerating her but for most of the book I wasn't a Margo fan. Then there's Ben. By the end I actually liked Ben but in the beginning I just wanted to strangle him so that he would stop using the word "hunnybunny" I was embarrassed for him and for some reason the word just didn't feel right. If someone called me that I either look at them like they were insane or walk away quickly or punch them in the face.

The other characters were all amazing and believable. John Green has this amazing ability to create characters that act like normal teenagers and seem so realistic.

I really enjoyed the beginning of the book when Margo and Quentin pull this elaborate prank. That part was probably the best part about the book. The entire book was actually pretty hilarious. I actually laughed out loud while I read and got a few weird looks from people because I was laughing so hard.

The mystery surrounding Margo and how she left behind all the clues was pretty interesting. At one point I figured something out way before Quentin but that didn't frustrate me as much as I thought it would.

After reading The Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska I think my expectations were too high because I just didn't enjoy Paper Towns as much as the other two. I still really enjoyed it but it just didn't meet my expectations.

4 comments:

  1. It's hard not to have high expectations of a book after you've read The Fault in Our Stars. So far it's the only book I've read by John Green, but I really want to get my hands on the rest of his books. He's an amazing writer. :)
    Thanks for the review and Happy Reading!

    Patricia @ Night Readings

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said you wanted to strangle him for over using hunnybunny I laughed so hard and got a crazy look from my mom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Fault in Our Stars and Looking For Alaska set the bar very high! Awesome review, I'm really looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read a John Green book but, I hope that I get in 2013! Great review, the hunnybunny thing makes me laugh!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)