Friday, August 4, 2017

Review: Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab

Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab
Published: June 13, 2017
Publisher:
Greenwillow Books
Pages:
510 (Hardcover)
Series:
Monsters of Verity #2
Source:
Won
My Rating:
5 of 5 stars


THE WORLD IS BREAKING. AND SO ARE THEY.

KATE HARKER isn't afraid of monsters. She hunts them. And she's good at it.

AUGUST FLYNN once yearned to be human. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.

THE WAR HAS BEGUN.

THE MONSTERS ARE WINNING.

Kate will have to return to Verity. August will have to let her back in. And a new monster is waiting—one that feeds on chaos and brings out its victims' inner demons.

Which will be harder to conquer: the monsters they face, or the monsters within?

If I had nothing else do to the day I started reading this I would have definitely finished this book in one sitting. Our Dark Duet is everything that I wanted from the first book and so much more. Honestly, I have no issues with this book. Nothing bugged me about the story or the characters. It was just such a perfect conclusion.

For me, the first book lacked that extra something that makes me absolutely love it, so I was really hoping that this one would have what I was looking for. Oh boy, did this book blow my expectations out of the water. Where I thought the first book lacked originality with the school setting, this book more than made up for that. I loved the two different stories at the beginning of the book and I kept wondering how they would end up connecting.

I really enjoyed the monster aspects of the book. It's dark and kept me glued to this book because now there are two forces that Kate and August have to worry about, one is the Malachi and the other is a new monster. The way that the Chaos Eater is described throughout the book is eerie and intriguing. It's never entirely clear what the monster is, but I think it's better that way. 

Honestly, I can't get enough of August and I ended up really liking Kate in this book. I was kind of neutral about her for the first book, but her character definitely grew on me. I love her friendship with August and how they seem to be so good for each other. I also really enjoyed Kate's new friendship with the Wardens, maybe my only complaint was that they didn't play a more significant role, but honestly I don't really mind that much.

The ending of this book was by far the best part. It was action packed, bloody, and dark, but also leaves you with hope for the future of Verity. It was definitely a satisfying ending, but I'm really sad to see this world go so soon. I will definitely be picking up the author's other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)