Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Published: June 5, 2012
Publisher:  Henry Holt and Co.
Pages: 368
Series: The Grisha Trilogy #1
My Rating:  3 of 5 stars

Synopsis: Alina Starkov doesn’t expect much from life. Orphaned by the Border Wars, the one thing she could rely on was her best friend and fellow refugee, Mal. And lately not even that seems certain. Drafted into the army of their war-torn homeland, they’re sent on a dangerous mission into the Fold, a swath of unnatural darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh.

When their convoy is attacked, all seems lost until Alina reveals a dormant power that not even she knew existed. Ripped from everything she knows, she is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. He believes she is the answer the people have been waiting for: the one person with the power to destroy the Fold.

Swept up in a world of luxury and illusion, envied as the Darkling’s favorite, Alina struggles to fit into her new life without Mal by her side. But as the threat to the kingdom mounts, Alina uncovers a secret that sets her on a collision course with the most powerful forces in the kingdom. Now only her past can save her . . . and only she can save the future.


My Review: I think my expectations were way too high. I feel like I'm the only one who didn't fall in love Shadow and Bone. I just couldn't. If I had rated this book while I was reading it I would have given it one or two stars mostly because in the beginning I almost gave up on the story a few times. I picked up this book expecting to love it and I finished it unsatisfied.

So the main character Alina is an orphan and she's like really really ugly. Or at least that's what I was told every other page in this book. I was constantly reminded that Alina was ugly and that Genya was just a beautiful Grisha and that all Grisha were beautiful. When Alina finds out that she is Grisha she denies it because she isn't pretty enough. What? So you have to be drop dead gorgeous to have any kind of power? I would have been ok with Alina being insecure about how she looks but when Genya offers to help her look better she flat out refuses but she still continues to complain. So Alina doesn't want someone else to make her look better but she still wants to complain about how hideous she is (even though I really didn't picture her hideous at all).

That was basically the first half of the book. She did some training here and there but I found it quite boring.

Then about half way through the book Alina discovers how to summon the light and she magically becomes beautiful. For me that's when the story actually started to get good because she was no longer complaining every other page.

If it hadn't been for the last 100 pages this book would have gotten two stars instead of three. So yes there was something I actually really enjoyed about this book. Mal and Alina traveling together and the part with the Stag were the best parts of the book. It made me want to read the next one and I will indeed be reading the next one.

6 comments:

  1. I hate it when you have such high expectations and then you read something and its just not that good...
    :(
    IM sorry. I have heard great and wonderful things about this book... but I havent read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't read all the glowing reviews about it. It set the bar kind of high.

      Delete
  2. This book sounds amazing, especially the part about being taken for training. I don't usually read books like this, because i'm more into girly novels, but it sounds too interesting not to look into. But then again, you didn't seem to enjoy it as much as you thought you would. I just suppose it's down to the reader. I'm a new follower :) You can check out and follow my blog if you wish at www.rollerbladesandvintage.blogspot.com

    Tata, leah xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people who like this book so maybe you will too. Thanks for following and I followed you back!

      Delete
  3. Shame you didn't lile this as much as you thought you would. I can see why your expectations were high, I've read LOADS of reviews for this book which said it was 'AMAZING'. Alina's whinig about being 'ugly' does sound pretty annoying, but at least the book got better towards the end!

    New follower :) x
    Catherine @ The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me Catherine! I followed you back :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)