Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Published: February 12, 2013
Publisher:
Razorbill
Pages:
401
Series:
Bloodlines #3
Source:
Bought
My Rating:
3.5 of 5 stars

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.

My Review: For some reason this book and I just didn't click. The first two books were enjoyable and I liked this one, but this definitely isn't one of my favorite series.

Most of the book was actually pretty boring. Sydney spends a lot of her time preparing to face Veronica (an evil witch that's sucking the magic and beauty out of girls). She also plans the St. Louis break in and finds Marcus. But I just wasn't glued to my seat like I was when I read Vampire Academy. It got better towards the end because most of the action in this book happened during the last one hundred pages.

The main problem I had with The Indigo Spell was Sydney. For most of the book I wanted to slap her for how she was treating Adrian and herself. She denies herself happiness because of Alchemist beliefs and it takes her almost the entire book to accept what she feels for Adrian. It was just so frustrating. Plus so many guys think she's gorgeous but she thinks she's just average and that she has no "womanly charm" (as Sydney put it). But by the end I liked her again because she finally took action and really grew as a character.

For the most part I'm pretty satisfied with Sydney and Adrian's relationship right now. There were many times when I was very close to wanting to strangle Sydney because it is obvious that she loves Adrian, but almost every single time she pushed him away when he kissed her and got mad at him. Honestly if it wasn't for Adrian then this book would have been a very average read.

As soon as Marcus came into the picture I was very worried that there would be a love triangle, but thankfully there wasn't. I'm actually not sure what I think of Marcus right now since he doesn't really do much. He just has plans, but he doesn't actually do anything about the Warrior and Alchemist problem.

The whole Warrior and Alchemist problem built up so much that I thought when they found the proof something much more dramatic would happen. So they found their proof. Now what? I really liked how there was much more magic in this book and how Sydney became more comfortable using it since she had to learn to defend herself from Veronica.

Overall I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't as amazing as I was expecting it to be after reading so many glowing reviews for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)