Monday, July 9, 2012

Review: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
Published: February 15, 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 496
Series: Angelfire #1
My Rating: 2 of 5 stars

Synopsis: First there are nightmares.
Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.

Then come the memories.
When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.

Now she must hunt.
Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.


My Review: My first thought after finishing this: I'm glad I didn't buy this.

So this book is definitely not my favorite. The entire book I couldn't stand Ellie. She was helpless almost the entire book and I got tired of hearing how she was so powerful when all I was reading about was Will fighting for her. Other characters in the book would repeatedly say how strong and powerful she was but then after that she'd say something like this:
"If I was some kind of hero, how many people would I be unable to save? I couldn't even eat fries without dripping ketchup on myself. How could I be responsible for someone else's life when I couldn't even be responsible for my own shirt?"
I feel so safe now knowing that the only person who can save the world can't even be responsible for her own shirt! I'm sure the baddies are quaking in their boots.

The only thing that I really liked was the plot but it was completely ruined by the terrible main character. I just couldn't stand hearing about how she was waiting for her memories to return to her and how she didn't believe she had any power. For me characters are a big part of the story and if I don't like the main character then I'll have a problem with the entire book unless it has a truly amazing plot and writing style. But this one didn't.
It gets one star for the plot.
So where does the other star come from?
Will. I can't help but love Will. Sure he's like most other young adult guys but I don't care.

So should you read this?
Only if you don't mind helpless main characters...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)