Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: Burn Mark by Laura Powell

Burn Mark by Laura Powell
Published: June 19, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Pages: 416
Series: Burn Mark #1
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars

Synopsis: In a modern world-where witches are burned at the stake-two lives intersect.

Glory. She's descended from a long line of powerful witches. The power of the fae is all she's wanted for as long as she can remember.

Lucas. His father is the chief Prosecutor for the Inquisition. All he's ever wanted is to hunt witches.

The fae appears as a dark spot on the skin. Like a kiss from the devil. And for Glory and Lucas, it appears almost simultaneously. Lucas will report himself to the Inquisition immediately. Glory will keep her fae a secret from the authorities. But it is the illegal gangs that hold the real power of the witching world. And it is through them that Lucas and Glory will be drawn together...whether they like it or not.


My Review: Take a moment and look at that cover. Isn't it just stunning? Doesn't it make you want to pick it up off the shelves and crack it open? Too bad the inside wasn't as great as the outside. Yet again I judged a book by its cover.

So I've been obsessed with witch stuff ever since I learned about it in school. Something about witches fascinates me and the Salem Witch Trials are also equally fascinating so when I first learned of this book I was literally dying to read it. Witches in London possibly be burned at the stake and coven gangs sounded right up my alley. But sadly this book wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

The prologue was the only good part of the beginning but after that, things started to drag. I felt like I was just being buried in information and I had trouble keeping many of the characters straight. There were two different sets of characters because of the two different POVs. When it was from Glory's POV there were just so many witches and family members that I couldn't remember who was who. Then when it switched POVs it introduced the characters that Lucas interacted with or knew. After so many names I needed to really concentrate on this book but I found that extremely difficult.

Not much seemed to happen until Lucas and Glory met but even then it still didn't get much better because then another POV was added. I got extremely bored whenever it was from Jonah's POV. I was tempted to start skimming the pages until it went back to either Lucas or Glory but I told myself I might get confused later if I didn't read everything.

At least the end was loads better than the rest of the book. There were many twists that I wasn't expecting but I won't go into detail about those. Don't want to spoil the ending if you do want to read this.

My favorite character would have to be Glory. She was strong willed and brave. She didn't take crap from anyone. She also didn't automatically trust Lucas when he first came to her coven. It took time for them to actually trust each other.

Burn Mark wasn't bad it just wasn't my favorite book and if you like witch books then you'll probably like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)