Monday, July 9, 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Published: January 24, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 384
Series: Everneath #1 
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she’s forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s...


My Review:  I'm speechless. I just can't find words to describe this book. It's a modern retelling of the Persephone myth and it was really really good but not amazing.

The story is about Nikki's Return to the Surface. She's been gone for one hundred years but that is Everneath time so she's only actually gone for a few months. When she returns her life is anything but perfect. Her family is in pieces and even her friends act differently around her. She claims that she only Returned because she wanted to say goodbye differently because she only has a few months until the Tunnels come for her since she didn't want to become an Everliving.

I loved this book. I had a few issues with Nikki though. She was really annoying when she couldn't decide what to do about Jack. I actually started yelling at the book at one point because she was being insecure and just plain stupid. She also didn't seem to realize that it would just be harder for everyone she loved if she returned and left again even with a proper goodbye.

I have to say that I was pretty torn between Jack and Cole in the beginning of the book. I found that really weird because I normally have my favorite picked out by the first few chapters but I eventually picked one because I cared about him much more than the other. Cole seemed to genuinely care about Nikki even if he was made out to be the "bad guy". At one point I was about to cry because Nikki was going to kill Cole that's when I realized that I liked him more because I was thinking that she should kill Jack instead. It took me 354 pages to figure that out.

I liked how the author made the reader care about the "bad guy" she showed him with feelings for Nikki and that all he wanted was the best for her. Cole would continually say that he couldn't say no to her and that he just wanted to help her. I also felt bad for Jack because it was obvious that he loved Nikki too and she kept thinking that he'd forgotten about her.

I will definitely be reading the next book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)