Sunday, September 23, 2012

ARC Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa
Published: October 23, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 379
Series: Call of the Forgotten #1
My Rating:  5 of 5 stars

Synopsis: Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’s dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myths and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My name is Ethan Chase. And I may not live to see my eighteenth birthday.


My Review: It's no secret that I love Julie Kagawa's writing. The Iron Fey series is one of my favorite series and The Immortal Rules is my favorite vampire book. So imagine my reaction when I got approved for this book. There was screaming, shouting, happy dances, and weird looks from people around me. While reading this I could barely contain myself. It was just that good.
 
Going into this book I had high expectations. They were very high. After reading the Iron Fey series and her new book I expected this book to be through the roof with its awesomeness. Well The Lost Prince went beyond my expectations. It blew the roof clean off of the house and touched the sky.
 
In the first part of the book I'll admit it. I didn't really like Ethan because of how he treated everyone but as the story went on I started to understand why Ethan was such a jerk to everyone. I'm not excusing his behavior but I understand where it's coming from. Ethan's POV was a nice change from Meghan's. It was much darker but I loved it. By the end of the book you could really see that Ethan had changed.
 
Another character I just loved was Kenzie. She was just so refreshing. She wasn't whiny or anything like that. She was willing to take risks and she didn't give up easily. I'm ready to read more about her. I'm also so glad there wasn't an Ethan-Kenzie-Keirran love triangle. I think it would have been kind of awkward if your nephew liked the same girl you did.
 
Oh and how could I forget Keirran? For those of you that read The Iron Knight you might remember him. Again I say I'm so glad that he didn't fall in love with Kenzie and that he has his own forbidden romance. Following in his parent's footsteps? I'm really looking forward to seeing how he's going to deal with his unusual glamour and his promise. 
 
The best part (well not the best part) was reading about all the characters from the Iron Fey series. Meghan, Ash, Puck, and Grimalkin all made appearances but as much as I love them I'm kind of glad the story wasn't all about them. It was nice to have some new characters mixed with the old ones. 
 
If you weren't really into the romance in the Iron Fey do not fear! The Lost Prince has some romance but it doesn't focus on that. Even though this book was in the same world as the Iron Fey it felt different. There were new threats and they are much creepier than the Iron fey. I was on the edge of my seat whenever the Forgotten appeared. I'm really looking forward to reading more about them.
 
The ending was great. I'm not a fan of cliffhangers and this isn't cliffhanger but it still leaves you wanting more. So I guess now I must wait for the next book. Supposedly its called The Traitor Son and I really hope it doesn't mean what I think it means. This wait is going to practically unbearable. 

*I received this book via Netgalley. Thank you! 

5 comments:

  1. I just finished reading this and I loved it!:DD All the old characters appearing along with the new it was awesome. I really hope the second books title doesn't imply what I think it does as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The wait for the next book is going to seem like forever!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that Puck and Grimalkin make their appearance; I love them! And I'm crazy about The iron fey. I was also excited when I got my eARC, but I'm trying to read it as late as possible. I don't want it to end, haha. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was too! I can't wait till the next book in this series!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)