Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green
Published: December 28, 2006
Publisher:
Speak
Pages: 256 
My Rating: 5 of 5 stars

Synopsis: Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Francois Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

My Review: John Green you blew me away yet again. I hope you never ever stop writing because you are just pure awesomeness and I love your books.

I can't believe I waited this long to read this book. Just what was wrong with me? Ok well there's actually a story behind that but don't laugh. When I first heard of this book maybe in the seventh grade? I don't remember anymore. Anyway I hadn't read the back but for some reason I thought that Looking for Alaska was about this boy who gets lost in the woods looking for the state Alaska then he dies. Don't ask me why I just did. So I never even thought about picking this book up because I just assumed that it was about a person literally looking for Alaska. Yeah it wasn't anything like that.

I absolutely loved Pudge and Alaska. Especially Alaska. I just I'm having trouble forming words to describe how much I loved them. I find it extremely difficult to write reviews about books I absolutely loved.

Icon

I just loved the entire book. Especially the last half because I know this might sound weird but I love figuring out why people died. I find it so interesting so I was sitting on the edge of my seat during most of the second half.

I can't believe how realistic the characters were and just how real everything seemed.Even the supporting characters were great. Looking for Alaska is not a light read. It deals with many different things like death, religion, guilt, learning to live with consequences. The characters also frequently drink and smoke even though they are underage and there is also talk about sex. Definitely not for younger kids.

I can't find one thing I disliked about this book. Everyone must go out and read this now if you haven't already. Now if you excuse me I'm off to go read all of John Green's other books.

3 comments:

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)