Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Review: Eve & Adam by Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate

Eve & Adam by Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate
Published: October 2, 2012 
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages:
291
Source:
Bought
My Rating:
2 of 5 stars

And girl created boy…

In the beginning, there was an apple—

And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal.

Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

My Review: This book was strange. I'm not entirely sure what I just read but I know it involved evil scientists. That summary is very misleading. I expected more of Eve building Adam and less of Aislin drama. There's also no mention of Solo in the summary so when part of the book was from his point of view I was confused.

The concept of Eve creating Adam was interesting but Adam had such a small role in this book that it turned out to be very boring. Eve spends more than half the book creating him. In the whole scheme of things he really wasn't important at all. I actually don't mind that he wasn't real for most of the book because once he became real I couldn't stand him. His thoughts were just so strange and he's too perfect. Adam is supposed to be drop dead gorgeous but he's only described as having blue eyes, dark hair, muscles. A character has too be more than just attractive for me to like him.Unfortunately Adam doesn't have much of a personality.

I wasn't a fan of Eve either. The book starts out with a car accident and Eve looses a leg. She's taken to a hospital and then she's taken to her mother's research facility. The doctors won't let her see underneath the bandages and she doesn't even question anything. Eve doesn't even seem that upset. She lost a freaking leg and she barely cares. What kind of person doesn't care that they lost a leg? 

Then there's Solo. I immediately disliked him when he thinks about how hot Eve is while she's screaming in pain because she just lost a leg. What kind of person does that? How is screaming in pain because she just lost a leg attractive? 

It's very obvious that Terra Spiker is supposed to be evil. According to Solo she's evil incarnate. I just found it kind of funny that she actually agrees that she's evil. It's like she's okay with having some teenager that she basically raised say that she's evil.

"I didn't know all that. I didn't know what they did, who they were. I thought...well, I thought you were just a ruthless, amoral, manipulative, cold bitch."
Mom nods. "Yes. All that's true."

There's really no evidence that Terra is actually evil except for the fact that she is constantly calling Eve's best friend a drunken slut. I didn't care about Aislin but it really bothered me how practically everyone called her a drunken slut. Including Adam. But a few pages later I think Adam and Aislin are together but I'm not really sure. It all happened so quickly.

The entire book felt like it happened way too fast. A few days passed very quickly but it didn't feel like it. Solo ends up trusting Eve after a few days and after talking to her only a handful of times. He questions something that he's been working on for a very long time because of her even though he just met her.

There's also this really creepy part when forty year old scientists are talking about how they would do Eve.

"She's not my girlfriend," I say. Which is a stupid and dorky thing to insist on.
"You haven't tapped that little piece yet? She's no great beauty, but she's cute enough, and she's got a nice little body."
"I'd do her," Dr. Chen says.

That's actually disgusting and very disturbing. I get that these are evil scientists but did they really have to go there? Couldn't they have just talked about their evil plants instead. Add this to the fact that they are telling Solo this and he doesn't comment on it.

I don't understand why Eve got to create Adam. Just because Terra thought she was bored? It just didn't make much sense to me. Actually this entire book didn't make much sense. Thankfully it was a very quick read.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Erika,
    Funny, I thought the exact same thing when I attempted to read it last summer. I didn't finish it( couldn't get into it!), but it was very weird. I thought the summary would be better aligned with the book....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summary had almost nothing to do with most of the book which is really strange.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I thought this book looked interesting, but after seeing so many not-so-rave reviews I think I'll hold off on reading it at least for a little while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw that the book was getting some bad ratings but I thought that it sounded really interesting so I read it anyway. That was a mistake.

      Delete
  3. I DNF'ed this book. I hated it and I couldn't get into it. Eve was such a flimsy character and I found myself bored with the book. Such a shame as well because I heard Michael Grant books were awesome :(

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that his books are supposed to be awesome too! Maybe his other series is better?

      Delete
  4. I agree! I actually thought the creating stuff where interesting and the plot could've have been amazing! That what upsetted me the most while reading--it could have been amazing! But it didn't. DX I got a proof copy from a giveaway but I'm guessing it's no different from the final because all the characters where just "meh" to me. Each character was flat and didn't seem all to interesting. I think I must have been generous when I finished the book because I gave this a 3 stars...

    BTW, did you know there is a sequel? Or maybe there isn't, but it said for a sequel called Adam and Eve on the last page of my copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a sequel? I don't think my copy said there was a sequel but I could be wrong.

      Delete
  5. Hmm, doesn't sound like it will be going on my to read list.

    And is this the same Katherine Applegate who wrote the Making Out series?

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)