Friday, June 28, 2013

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Published:  May 7, 2013
Publisher:
Putnam Juvenile
Pages:
457
Series:
The 5th Wave #1
Source:
Bought
My Rating:
5 of 5 stars

The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

My Review: To be completely honest when I first heard about this book and all the hype I actually thought I think I'll skip this one. Not because I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to the hype but because I tend to stay away from alien books. I can count on my hand how many alien books I've read and I guess I just picked the wrong ones because I was missing out on a seriously awesome book.

What makes this book stand out are the characters, not the fact that it is about an alien invasion. I'm sure there are plenty of alien books out there. There are plenty of survival books other there too but I can't remember the last time I read one like this.

The book is told from several points of view but the main character is Cassie. There were times when I couldn't stand her but most of the time her point of view was very enjoyable. She's a strong girl that is just trying to survive in a world. There's nothing special about her, she's just a teenager girl that found a way to keep living even when the odds are against her. I loved how determined she was to keep her promise to her little brother and that she still had a sense of humor while everyone she knew was being killed by aliens.

The point of view switched around frequently but I didn't mind that. I wasn't a fan of Sammy's point of view but I didn't hate it. I loved the part when it was from the Silencer's point of view. And I liked Cassie and Ben's point of views equally. Both POVs had were action packed and some parts were slower than others but overall they were both great.

The romance in the book was the only thing that bugged me. It moved way too fast for my taste but I liked how Cassie pointed this out. I have no idea why Evan fell in love with Cassie and how Cassie fell in love with Evan. At first Evan was a bit of a creeper. He finds Cassie and helps her get better but while she's getting better he bathes her when she's unconscious. He also like to lurk. Instead of acting like a normal person, he'll stand outside Cassie's door and wait. Despite that, somehow Cassie ends up liking him. I warmed up to Evan eventually but it took awhile. It was very obvious what was going on with him right from the beginning but I wasn't too annoyed by the lack of surprise.

I ended up loving this book more than I thought I would, The 5th Wave is now one of my favorite books of 2013. Everyone should definitely read this book.

8 comments:

  1. Your review has soothed my misgivings about this book. It's currently in my to-reads stack, and I was dreading reading it because I thought it was another zombie book. But I can do alien invasion! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a character that goes by the name Zombie but he isn't a zombie.

      Delete
  2. Hah, I agree with all of this (except on Sammy's POV. I loved it). Evan was a total creeper, lol, but he kind of felt like a parody of the regular "mysterious guy" in a way. Instead of just sauntering around with a mean face, he... lurks around doorways XD

    Amazing review, Erika! The book will really appreciate you helping out on its invasion of the world ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about Evan. Maybe he's trying to be that "mysterious guy" but failing miserably?
      Thank you! It does seem like this book is invading everything!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. O_O Don't know how I deleted that comment, but oh well! Just need to rewrite it :P

      Yeah, he may be actually trying to be a mysterious guy. He has the basics down (unknown intentions, being hot, and doesn't tell much about himself), but he needs to polish up his execution. A lot. (Running around in super tight pants is not a no-no.)

      Delete
    4. Exactly! I really hope he's not gone for good because I was really starting to like him by the end.

      Delete
    5. He was great at the end, even with the... ill-fitting pants. Seriously, I couldn't even laugh at him wearing them because he was doing so great.

      Ooh, he better be in the next book. I neeeeeeeed him to be in there.

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)