Saturday, November 1, 2014

Review: The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey

The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey
Published: September 16, 2013
Publisher:
Putnam
Pages:
320 (Hardcover)
Series:
The Fifth Wave #2
Source:
Bought
My Rating:
3 of 5 stars

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

Unfortunately I'm pretty disappointed by  this book, especially after the awesomeness of the first book. It isn't awful, but it also isn't what I was hoping for.

I have discovered that I can't stand Cassie's point of view. I remember liking in in the previous book, but in this one I always got extremely bored and sometimes uncomfortable while reading from her points of view. For a good portion of the book Cassie constantly insists that Evan will find her and that he's not dead, even though there's mounting evidence pointing to his death. She refuses to accept that he's dead and maybe that wouldn't be so bad if I actually liked their relationship. Even in the first book their relationship bugged me. To me Evan feels like a creeper and to be honest I like Ben and Cassie way more than Evan and Cassie because Ben's relationship with Cassie actually develops, while there wasn't much development with her relationship with Evan.

The thing that bothered me the most about Cassie was how she talked about Grace. She doesn't know anything about her and she immediately dislikes her because she's extremely attractive and she used to be with Evan before he knew Cassie. It bugged me so much because Cassie has absolutely no right to say anything derogatory about this person that she doesn't even know.

The character that saved the book is definitely Ringer. I absolutely love her point of view and I am really glad that her story became more important in this book. I also love that the book went more in depth into Poundcake's tragic past and uncovers the reason for why he doesn't talk.

Overall this book isn't what I was hoping for, but I will probably end up reading the next one anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and if you want, leave a comment. We love reading comments and we will try to respond especially if you have a question!
Happy reading :)